Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 7

Cake of the Day: Dragon Cake
Today cannot start with lots of words, it must start with a picture:
How ADORABLE is he??? I found the idea here: Fire Breathing Cake, and just had to make him. 

The day started out with a serious feeling of gratitude to my new best friend, my KitchenAid mixer. I knew this cake was going to take forever to decorate, so being able to whip up a chocolate cake in minutes was wonderful. The cake portion was not the star of this day anyways. He really wasn't too difficult to assemble, here was my set-up:
In my own words, I got too much "gickey" (yes I made that word up) on my computer from trying to wake up the monitor after it had gone to sleep so I could see the instructions time and time again, but my computer survived and the dragon came to life. It was hard to believe I could make that whole cake out of two 8 inch round cakes, but it wasn't too bad. I made a few alterations such as making my own chocolate covered graham crackers for the spikes:
I also dipped two Hershey's "Hugs" in chocolate for the nostrils since I didn't have any "Kisses" and omitted the wings because many reviews said they sagged quickly if not stored in the freezer, and I have about a 25 minute drive to work, so I didn't think they would make it. Plus, I figured he was cute enough without them. One helpful tip was to freeze the dragon after putting a crumb coat on, otherwise I never would have been able to cover him so well with frosting because the cake crumbled quite a bit. 

Needless to say, he created quite the stir when I brought him in to work. There were two pictures of him up on Facebook within five minutes of walking in the door. A little crowd gathered to look at him, and the sponsor of the cake (who I made cut into him because I didn't have the heart) took his sweet time getting around to cutting him. This cake has definitely made me believe that I am capable of more than I thought I was! 

Here are some of the many comments the Dragon Cake received:
  • He was ADORABLE, and very tasty :) Awesome job on putting him together (yes, of course, it was a him, haha)
  • Dinomite
  • Very delicious cake (written in Chinese, perhaps they thought the Dragon was in celebration of the Chinese New Year, as it is the Year of the Dragon)
  • I don't know how you make the cakes wilder and wilder each day but I am so impressed.
  • It is like a real life version of 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs' (I don't recall a dragon in there, but perhaps they are referring to the abundance of cakes?) 

Okay, one last picture of him:
Awww




6 comments:

  1. Cakezilla will not harm a friend. Go in piece...es..., little buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find enough time to do all this creative work? I enjoy your descriptions that you add to explain how you make these cakes. Does Jonathan help? does he get to sample them? I wish I could taste some of your creations. Keep up the good work.
    Love, Dad George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sleeping time has been suffering a bit in order to get all these cakes made . . .I'm going to need a long nap at the end of the month :) Yes, Jonathan definitely helps a ton, I wouldn't get some of these done without him. I usually leave a piece at home for him so he gets to try most of them. Just let me know which cakes you really want to try and I'll see if I can make them when you are home. Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. My favorite!!!!! I love dinosaurs!!!! Did you eat him????


    -Lisa

    p.s. I am not anonymous am I haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) I'm so glad you liked him...I thought he was so cute. Yes, I did eat a piece of him, but I waited until he was almost gone before I went and cut my piece. He was tasty as well as cute :)

      Delete