Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rock Climbing - Day 28

Drum roll please . . .I'm happy and proud to announce that today I climbed my first V2 route. I think it might have something to do with climbing earlier in the day (since it's Saturday and I don't have to work), but apart from feeling weak and disoriented at first (probably due to wearing my contacts as I usually wear glasses) I had quite a few good climbs today. It just took me a little while to get into it.

I saw an interesting sight today. I usually enjoy watching more experienced climbers, so when a 30s-ish aged lady came in and starting climbing more fluidly than I'd see anyone else climb, I kept an eye on her. On my way to get a drink of water, I noticed that she'd sat down and was working on her nails. Then I looked closer. She had climbed a bit and had chalky hands and had a nail file, but she wasn't filing her nails, she was filing her palms . . .what?!? She must have some serious calluses; I just thought that was nuts.

In other news, while I was working on a fun, but as of yet unconquered, V1 in the cave area, a friendly girl who was about my height gave me some tips on how she finally finished it. It was towards the end of my hour of climbing though so I just didn't have the strength to finish it today, maybe tomorrow. Also, you remember that black V1 with the slippery hold near the end that I just couldn't finish? Yeah, I got it today . . .take that rocks!

I feel this calls for a celebratory cool picture of some rock climbing stuff, but alas, my brother got all the photography skills in the family (and the rock climbing skills as well). He is proud of me for doing all this climbing, but when we talked the other day, he lamented that he has never gotten into double digit bouldering . . .bah! I'm chuffed to bits that I got a V2! Anyways, it was a great climbing day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment