Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 18

Cake of the Day: Chocolate Raspberry Birthday Cake
As it is a good friend's birthday tomorrow, I was honored to be asked to make his birthday cake. I was planning something multi-layered, but was waiting to hear back from his wife as to which kind of cake he would want. She requested something chocolate and raspberry, so I turned to "Chocolate Cake" by Michele Urvater. I found a recipe for raspberry mousse filling, Sweet Devil's Food cake, and of course with Devil's Food cake, I had to use the recipe for "Wicked Chocolate Frosting" . . .yum. 
My adaptation of an ice bath since I didn't have any ice. I used this to cool the raspberry mousse. 
Assembling the layers

Putting it all together
The Devil's Food cake wasn't as cake-y or chocolate-y as I would have hoped (it turned out a little flat), but it was still tasty and worked well with the frosting and filling. The layers split easily which aided in a nicer presentation. The decorating took a long time to finish and we were a little late to the party (everyone thought we had a "cake emergency") but I'm just too picky when it comes to the appearance of my cakes I guess. 

My husband tried to fashion a tool out of a ruler and some plastic to get the ridged edges, but the zig-zag scissors we have made too shallow of zig-zags, so I ended up using an old Pampered Chef  "Slice 'n Serve" which had deeper grooves on the edges (meant for cutting pies, etc.). It isn't perfect, but I think it worked out okay. 
In the end I thought the presentation looked pretty professional, the cake tasted good, and everyone at the party (including the birthday boy) liked the cake. My best comment (from a sweet little 4 year old) was: "Can we borrow one of your cakes?" Cute :)

Happy Birthday Bill

4 comments:

  1. Cakezilla is stuffed... so much chocolatey goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds especially delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute apron!
    (And the cakes continue to make my mouth water.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks . . .the apron was a bridal shower gift from my cousin Brooke. I like it too :) Mmm cake ;)

      Delete