Monday, February 13, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 12

Cake of the Day: Boston Cream Pie "Cake"
So, I had to stretch the rules a little bit to be able to make this cake. I originally thought I would only make things with "cake" in the title, but as I did a little bit of research into Boston Cream Pie, I found out that although it is called a pie, it is truly a cake. It was called a pie because the original cakes were baked in the far more common pie pans as cake pans were more scarce...interesting huh? Also, I'm a big fan of Boston Cream Pie, so I thought it was justified :) 
Mmm

Here is the recipe I used: Boston Cream Pie. I've used multiple recipes from that site and I've been pretty happy with them. The best part of this cake though had to be the pastry cream filling. I LOVE custard, so I was excited to make this, and as soon as it was done, I tried it immediately. My husband was on the phone, but I ran over to him and said "I think I just made heaven in a bowl"! It is so good, and it made for a very tasty cake. 

Amazing cream
This ganache also turned out much better than my previous attempt and poured over the cake beautifully. There was even some left over that I can save to use on a future cake. I let it cool, then cut around the bottom, piped a few cute cream dots on top, and voila, Boston Cream Pie. 
This cake was one of the fastest disappearing yet . . .it was gone in under one hour, I guess people liked it :) 

Here are some of the comments it received: 
  • Amazing! The custard middle and chocolate frosting were just perfect. Yummy.
  • Delicious
  • This was tough to cut :) But uber good.
  • Mo sloppy, mo better!
And my favorite comment (left by someone who showed up too late):
  • Gone :( 


On a side note, remember that rock climbing lady from Day 28 of January who was filing her hands? Yeah, I understand that now . . .my calluses are starting to peel off and are really sharp . . .ouchies. 


1 comment:

  1. Cakezilla wants to go to Boston to noms more...

    ReplyDelete