Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 28

Cake of the Day: Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
My cake sponsor for today instructed that I make something "extravagant". He then suggested something with cranberries and kumquats . . .hmm. I asked if chocolate would be okay instead, thankfully he agreed :) This is one of the most extravagant looking recipes I could find: Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake. I've seen things similar to this at fancy restaurants and I figured it was extravagant enough to qualify, so I tried it.

The bottom cake layer turned out much taller than I thought it would and took up about half the spring form pan . . .I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough room for all of the mousse on top. Annie (from Annie's Eats, the blog where the recipe came from - I highly recommend her stuff) said that the edges of her cake fell and it only looked like a two layer cake from the outside, but I didn't have that problem. My edges looked a little wrinkled as they sagged under all of the mousse, but it definitely still looked like a three-layer dessert. 

I was a little disappointed in the middle chocolate mousse layer which turned out more chocolate-chippy than I think it should have. It didn't have the smooth mousse texture that I was going for. Perhaps my cream was too cold and made the chocolate harden before it was fully incorporated? But hey, it was still chocolate mousse, so it was still good :) 

The white chocolate mousse was definitely the most perfect part of this dessert. I've found that white chocolate is probably my least favorite chocolate, but this came together so well and was oh so creamy that I couldn't resist. The white chocolate took a little longer to dissolve (maybe because I used a little lower quality of chocolate?) but it did eventually dissolve (unlike the bittersweet chocolate) and turned into a really nice mousse. I didn't have enough time to make chocolate curls again, so I found the idea for the swirl design here: Mousse Cake Design (second picture down). I used the same serrated serving tool that I used to make the ridges on the Chocolate Raspberry Birthday Cake. It worked out very well. 
I think this cake set a record . . .it was gone in 25 minutes! I also got called "Betty Crocker" for the first time today :) Here is what people had to say about this cake:
  • Darn, its good (they didn't use the word darn though)
  • Great cakes, endless perfection
  • Great looking cake. But why did you put raisins in there?? (that's just one of my friends being silly . . . he doesn't like raisins)
  • Rats, wish I saw this one before it got eaten.
  • Excellent job!
  • Delicious cake
  • Wow! Gone in 30 seconds. Thanks for a memorable month.
  • The best one that I've had yet this month.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the final cake of Cake Madness month!

p.s. Check out the cool twin yolk egg I got - I guess they are rather rare, occurring in about 1 of every 1000 eggs! (although I feel like I've used that many just this month) ;)

3 comments:

  1. Cakezilla likes the swirls... getting hypnotized by circle cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's next for March? How will you ever catch up blogging?
    Did you really floss every day? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to wait and see :) I have no idea how I'll catch up on my blogging . . .slowly but surely? And yes, I really did floss every day in February. "Teeth Flossed Seldom Lost" :)

      Delete